Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RELIGION

Oh good, more smart religious people are standing up against morons. Pat Robertson told Ken Hambone to stuff a sock in it.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Oh good, more smart religious people are standing up against morons. Pat Robertson told Ken Hambone to stuff a sock in it.
    You may want to qualify or reconsider 'smart religious people' in your sentence. Perhaps 'political opportunistic clergy' is more appropriate.

I was being generous and giving anyone who doesn't believe the young earth idea the honorary title "smart".

When Pat Robertson is the voice of reason, you're seriously off the reservation.

As someone involved in a wing of Christianity populated by a lot of young Earth creationists, here's my view: There are things in science which conflict with modern thought on Bible interpretation. And even today people have different interpretations of what the Bible is saying. Some take the Genesis account of creation 100% literally, others say that the literary form is more allegorical. Either way that's fine. If you believe the Bible says one thing and modern science conflicts with it, and you choose as a matter of faith to believe the Bible over science, that's admirable.

What isn't admirable, however, is trying to shoehorn your unscientific belief into science. Real science doesn't assume a conclusion and cherry pick evidence to support it. It's not admirable to take something inherently unscientific and teach it as science. It's misleading and holds the discovery of truth back. If you believe that your view is true, then you shouldn't be afraid of the discovery of further truth. There may be a period where your view and science disagree. If your view is actually true, however, science should eventually catch up to it. If your view isn't true, then wouldn't it be liberating to discover that and move on? Allowing facts to inform your beliefs is not an abandonment of your faith.
    - Definitely

"I need to be clear on this point: Are you telling me that Satan is literally working to confound your plans to release this game? You're saying that the actual Devil is scheming against you?"

I'm sitting in a nondescript office in an unremarkable neighborhood in Bakersfield, CA, interviewing three men about their plans for a Biblical game based on the life of Abraham.

"I believe that, 100 percent," replies Richard Gaeta, a co-founder of Phoenix Interactive. He argues that since the launch of the Kickstarter for Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham, trouble has come into all their lives.

"It's very tangible," adds his business partner Martin Bertram. "From projects falling through and people that were lined up to help us make this a success falling through. Lots of factors raining down on us like fire and brimstone."

Nobody is winking or joking or pulling my leg. There is no irony here. They are absolutely serious.
    link

Edit: oh my god, nope, need another quote here:

"Look at the gospel accounts of demons and so forth. That's reality. Many Americans don't believe it anymore. That doesn't change reality."
    Reeeeeally interesting definition of "reality." It's in the gospel: reality.

They should pitch the idea to Pat Robertson.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

I can't help but think of the scene in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas where Dr. Gonzo opens up salt shaker of cocaine with the top down while they're driving and says something to the effect of 'did you see what god just did to us, man?'

I remember playing a Biblical video game once. Pretty sure it was terrible and I can't remember the name.

Might have been this ... Bible Adventures ... though I don't remember it being like Super Mario 2.

I have a copy of that. My grandmother bought it for me. It's with all the rest of my old NES/etc shit, in boxes under the bed (for the inevitable day when I need it for some reason). I'll take a picture of it tonight and photoshop myself out if I remember.

Edit: from the wiki page...

It contains three different games: Noah's Ark, Baby Moses, and David and Goliath, all of which are based rather loosely on stories from the Bible.
    Attached Images Attached Images