Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Got my ass kicked pretty hard last night. There was a "quest" to win two games as a Mage or Shaman in Play mode, and my only constructed deck happens to be a Mage deck, so I jumped right in and figured it would go quickly. I won my very first game (which happened to be my 10th win in Play mode overall) and then lost my next six or seven in a row. I'm wondering if having 10 wins put me in a higher bracket. I'm not playing in ranked mode, so it's not obvious that I'm in GOLD LEAGUE!! now or something, but that's just too coincidental to be straight bad luck.

Liuv encouraged me to tweak my deck. That notion is repugnant to me for several reasons. First, "tweaking" was always my least favorite thing to do in Magic. I'd rather just start a deck from scratch than spend an hour trying to re-engineer one that sucks. I've got friends who would spend hours and hours with their deck spread out on a table, staring at it, taking one card out and putting a different one in, playing a game, then repeating the process. No thanks. Jesus Christ, I'm trying to summon a kobold for three mana, not launch a rocket to Mercury.

But beyond that, I see tweaking (and deck construction in general) as mostly futile until I've unlocked all the cards. I'm being methodical, leveling each class up to 10 in Practice mode and unlocking the whole basic set of cards for each of them, and once that's done I'll move on to whatever I need to do in order to unlock the rest of the class-specific cards. So my constructed Mage deck is gimped by its very nature: all I have is the basic stuff. I realize this, and will address it at a later date. For now, I'm working on Shaman, Priest, and all the rest. My Mage deck sucks, and if I'm up against better competition now, it will lose a bunch and I'll stick to Practice mode for now (unless I've got a quest compelling me into Play mode for gold).

Beyond that, I feel like Hearthstone is such a simple game, it's hard to justify any amount of tweaking. You have almost no control over what you draw; you can't fix your deck on the fly by reordering it or pulling out non-interesting material (see also: land draw), and you can't sift through it looking for a specific card. At best, you can accelerate your card drawing a bit. Combos are a lost cause, because 90% of the time a creature won't last more than a turn or two, and there are no other forms of permanent structure to put on the field. One game in twenty you'll get your deck's theme to work brilliantly and you'll feel like a boss. The rest of the time, you're just drawing cards and hoping they let you kill whatever your opponent put out last turn.

Of course, the "simple game" argument works the other way, too. In Magic, if 2/60 cards are wrong for the deck they're in, you might never notice. In Hearthstone, if 2/30 cards are wrong, the problem is (more than) twice as big. So that's an argument for tweaking in Hearthstone.

I just played my first Arena match with a Mage deck. I was up against a Warrior, he was beating the piss out of me and was up to 10 armor, but I kept him at bay and then slowly crawled my way back into it... finally he had nothing but a Gurubashi Berserker out. I hit it with my Fireblast for 2 mana, then smacked it with Scarlet Crusader, putting it at 8/3... then out came Big Game Hunter for 3 mana. Man, did I ever feel like a badass. I could have killed the Berserker with a 7/7 minion I had at that point, but instead I got to throw that 7 damage his way.

He gave me a "Well played" and conceded on the next turn.

Edit: My other really good play, a turn or two before that, was using Polymorph on his Warsong Commander with my last 4 mana, rather than Fireblasting his 6/1 Frostwolf Warlord. Essentially I was accepting some damage (7) on the next turn, and gambling that the alternative might be much worse. What I did is probably the obvious play in in that situation, even though I was running pretty low on life -- but I feel proud because it might not have occurred to me a week ago.
    Last edited by Macheath; 11-21-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Anyone still looking for a Hearthstone Beta key could try snagging one here: http://www.reddit.com/r/sharehearthstone

It's a subreddit dedicated to distributing unneeded keys. No idea how active it is, but you could give it a shot

Dude, you mentioned beating all the Expert AI bots... I tried last night with my shitty custom Mage deck, started at the top of the list with the Mage/Mage mirror match and lost two or three times, thought "well damn, that will be a fun challenge that will keep me occupied for weeks." Tonight I fired the game up again, went with my shitty custom Rogue deck instead, and went right down the line, one-shotting most of the bots (only ones that took me two tries were Shaman, Rogue, and Paladin). I'm not sure if my Mage deck sucks more than average, or if my Rogue deck is better than average, or if I just got incredibly lucky.

Still only working with Basic cards here. How do I unlock the Expert cards? Just keep leveling up?

yeah if you level all classes to 10 you unlock all the basic cards for each set. personally i save up the gold and buy packs of cards with it for additional ones without using real money

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Dude, you mentioned beating all the Expert AI bots... I tried last night with my shitty custom Mage deck, started at the top of the list with the Mage/Mage mirror match and lost two or three times, thought "well damn, that will be a fun challenge that will keep me occupied for weeks." Tonight I fired the game up again, went with my shitty custom Rogue deck instead, and went right down the line, one-shotting most of the bots (only ones that took me two tries were Shaman, Rogue, and Paladin). I'm not sure if my Mage deck sucks more than average, or if my Rogue deck is better than average, or if I just got incredibly lucky.
    The expert AIs fucked me up pretty good when I first tried them out. I don't remember what classes I was using, but I'm pretty sure I was initially just using the prebuilt Basic Decks. After playing against real people and learning a bit more I went back with my own constructed decks and zipped through them pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Still only working with Basic cards here. How do I unlock the Expert cards? Just keep leveling up?
    You get expert cards buy buying them either with gold or real cash money. You are also guaranteed one deck of cards for every arena run. If you go 9 wins on an arena deck, you get two decks.

People have run the math, and it's apparently best to spend your gold on arena entries and stop at 8 wins (you can retire the deck or concede to stop at 8). The logic is that stopping at 8 gets you more gold over the long run. This makes it more likely that you will always have gold to spend on the arena. Winning two decks per run is great until you run out of gold and have to grind daily quests and 3xWins to get back in.

The best I've done in arena is 6-3, so I haven't had to make the hard decision of "should I go 9 or stop at 8." I imagine I'll go for 9 the first time I get 8 wins. After that... not sure. My ego will probably win out and go after the 9-win. At least until I go a perfect undefeated 9-0. Then, maybe I'll stop at 8.

Anyone still looking for a beta key?

https://twitter.com/BlizzDHW/status/404874219801952256

I've been wanting to make something like this for awhile. Luckily someone else did it, so my procrastination has paid off!

I'll probably use it to create a list for much faster referencing though.

Just got a beta key myself. Figured I would give it a try
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

I finally got into the beta this morning.