Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Star Trek

Duuuude... has anyone else watched The Orville? I heard it was good, but I never sat down to check it out. Discovery was enough new Star Trek shows for me.

But shit. Discovery is in this alternate "grittyverse" timeline. It's fine, but it does nothing to evoke the hopeful, optimistic, positive feel of the original Trek shows.

The Orville, on the other hand, feels and sounds and looks exactly like TNG/DS9/Voyager, except in a world where people are still people (and not weird, perfect, future-robot-people). The humor is not over the top, as I expected... it's more like Firefly level. Otherwise, the show takes itself totally seriously, and does a beautiful job. I'm so happy with this shit, I'm gonna watch every single episode post-haste.

All these attempts to "reboot" Star Trek have been fun, but ultimately they're missing the point. The Orville is literally the best Star Trek show since DS9 (sorry, Captain Janeway).

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm01FIfX6Sc&t=45s
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-01-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Yep just started watching it on hulu last week. Its my treadmill series at the moment so I'm only a few episodes in season 1 since they are like 40 minutes + commercials. I also feel like I'm watching the next generation if it was done by a fan of that series who is now my age.

I've been watching The Orville from the beginning. I never watched the original star treks so I don't know how to compare it. To me it feels like a parody that never actually "cracks the joke," and ends up just being a good show. I kept waiting for the parody zingers to come, but they never really did.

Just watched Orville 2x03, and witnessed Robert Picardo acting in scenes with Dr. Phlox, meanwhile Patrick Warburton is playing a member of a species with two esophagi ("one inside, one outside, so we can really pound food... just pound it") and I love this show and Fox is definitely gonna cancel it.