Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetside 2

Here's another comparison, this time using the 660 Ti. These sorts of benchmarks are why I've waited so long to replace my graphics card -- it's seemed like there was no need. My card "beats" the 660 Ti in most categories (except for power consumption; holy shit this thing is a hog).

By the way, Liuv... if I ever get enough certs (1000, vs. only 700 SC) the first weapon I'm planning to buy is a shotgun. If you're looking for input about how to spend your ridiculous fortune.

Wow! I'm thinking I need to upgrade too. My GeForce 8800 GT looks positively ancient.

Well, I stuck around for the whole two-hour "hot spot" or whatever it's called. I joined a platoon. There were clearly at least two or three platoons, because we were constantly told to remain on the east side of Indar. Someone else was handling the fighting elsewhere.

I was in Charlie squad. In fact, I was Charlie 4. It was awesome. Platoon leader directing everyone, squad leader picking sub-goals... unfortunately, we started with a HUGE lead, and then had to retreat, retreat, retreat because our platoon leader (perhaps incorrectly) decided the best course of action was to hold our current territory rather than go on the offensive and make damn sure we kept even.

Finally, in a desperate attempt to cap some territory, we were doing Galaxy drops, which was unqualifiedly awesome.

By the end, we were angling for a tie with ... blue? NC, maybe? The blue guys. We were down 36% to 38% with one minute left, and "Delta 5" was off by himself capping an unoccupied piece of territory, and all by himself he pulled us back into a tie at 37% with five seconds to spare. Epic. We didn't get the full 10,000 exp you get for winning, but 3,000 and something is enough if you ask me.

Oh, it's "feeling the heat." Here's what things looked like with ~3 minutes to go. You can clearly see where both blue and red were pushing into our territory, where my platoon was trying to hold them back (and failing, for the most part).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    My favorite comment on that reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...e_lulz/c9ghu8c
    I think this is my favorite. Out of like six things he says, at least half are stuff I would never have guessed. I need to A) start playing heavy assault more often, B) invest in flak instead of nanoweave, and C) start buying magriders unless I just want to get quickly from one place to another (flash) or create a spawn point (sunderer).

Flak armor is generally considered far superior to nanoweave armor. You've probably noticed how often you'll randomly die to things like fighter rocket pods or tank shells. Flak armor really, really, helps with all of that.

The engineer is generally only used when piloting vehicles or repairing/supplying large squads. Heavy assault is used for nearly all infantry scenarios and is really the "main class" of the game. I noticed you never drove a "magrider" which can be spawned from tank terminals. These are the main offensive ground vehicles.

1 certification point = 250 exp

As you play longer getting certs becomes easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Here's another comparison, this time using the 660 Ti. These sorts of benchmarks are why I've waited so long to replace my graphics card -- it's seemed like there was no need. My card "beats" the 660 Ti in most categories (except for power consumption; holy shit this thing is a hog).
    I compared my current card (GeForce 9800 GTX) with your "ancient" card and the benchmarks for your card were at worst twice as good.

Good lord! Even yours is better than mine!

The one I replaced was a GeForce 9500GT

If you want some more "meaningful" metrics, you should look to framerate metrics for the games you want to play. Here's some guy posting on a forum about Planetside2 and framerates with different video cards:

http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1...formance-test/

Particularly interesting images:

Yea, my card isn't on that list. And I have only 4 GB of RAM so I'm behind on that too.

Damnit. Looks like this might be a bigger build than I thought.