Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Electric Cars and Hybrids

I'm still loving my Volt. My commute is a total of 22 miles to and from work and I rarely ever use gas (except in the winter where it needs to use the engine to keep things warm). I changed jobs and I no longer have free charging at work, but my 240V charger at home is still cheaper than gas.

There are a couple of bad points.

One, the turning radius seems very large for as small a car as the Volt, sometimes it feels like I'm driving my wife's Sienna when I'm parking.

Two, I'm actually pretty disappointed in the gas mileage on this thing. I haven't actually calculated anything but it's somewhere in the upper 20's. It's better that my Camry was but with the smaller size and regenerative breaking I would expect more.

Three, the car communicates with you via honking more often than I'd like, it's the pedestrian targeted "friendly honk" but still I'd rather not have my car honk at me at 7am because I opened the door and then accidentally let the door shut while still in the car (HONK HONK OMG YOU LEFT YOUR KEYS IN THE CAR YOU IDIOT HONK HONK)

Four, probably more of a complaint of modern cars than the Volt specifically is the inability to remove XM from my entertainment system. I'm not going to pay for it so I'm stuck with the XM Radio Commercials All The Time Show on my Source options. I use bluetooth and radio and I would really rather not have to scroll through 7 options to get what I want.

Thanks for the thoughts. Apparently the myth of "cheap Volts" is just that, a myth. Probably one guy got a deal somewhere and blogged about it. Anyway, it sounds like the guy at work is leaning toward a Leaf again. The 2016 models with 100+ mile range are going for about $10-12K now.

I got mine for 17.5k with 28k miles on it. It was nowhere as cheap as a used Leaf, but it was well below the list price. I think now that the government rebates are over you don't really get such a deep discount on used electric cars.

Cybertruck! It has a striking look. Your first impulse is to shit all over it, but... this is what science-fiction cars have looked like since the middle of last century. Syd Mead, Blade Runner, etc. I could definitely get used to it.

Speaking of Blade Runner, here we are in November 2019 and we get this thing. It can't be a coincidence, right?

I think they're hoping for the Sonic Effect here. So many people will be pissed off about how this truck looks that when they fix it everyone will lose their minds.

I dunno, I kind of like it. Yeah it's jarring to look at, at first... but I like it.

I'm fine with it, don't really love it or hate it. My friend at work ordered one so we'll see if he actually takes delivery, but then I hope to ride in it!

It's only $100 to "order" one, but I have no idea why. If they're using the preorders to gauge interest, that low dollar amount is gonna inflate their numbers. Something tells me a lot of those people will cancel at some point in the next 2-3 years.