Thread: Free to Play

Free to Play

Rift is going free to play! I thought it looked interesting, but I never checked it out.

As an aside, apparently we have a whole Rift subforum.

FYI it went free to play yesterday so I gave it a download. Haven't really started playing it yet but I am going to give it a whirl and see what it is all about. I made a character on Greybriar as i think that is where fendruil and kiran played. just waiting for confirmation. If anyone gives it a try let me know

Is the F2P version a very watered down version of the paid one (like SWTOR F2P)?

Just wondering as I may bring back my old guy if it's not too bad.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

actually no it is the full game. The subscribers get benefits like more experience gained, faster mount speed, faster reputation earned, more available bags, etc. From what I have read about how it was implemented, it sounds like the right way to handle a FTP game and at the same time not make it pay to win.

SWTOR is pissing me off. I like the game, but damn do they hate F2P players. Here's how not to run a free-to-play game.

This is the list of shit I think is perfectly justified:

• Only two character slots per server
    • Slower exp gain after level 10
    • No rested exp
    • Get "sprint" and "speeder" skills at level 15 and 25 (instead of 1 and 15)
    • Can't customize character appearance
    • Only one crew skill (gathering/crafting)
    • Quick travel every 2 hours (instead of 30 minutes)
    • Zero priority in login queue
    • Smaller inventory
    • Everything costs more (removing mods, build respecs, buying from vendors)
    • Can only play as three species (human, cyborg, zabrak)

That stuff is all totally reasonable in my opinion. But it's like they wanted to be absolutely sure to flip free players the bird, and make their game kind of painful to play. So there's a lengthy list of stuff that seems questionably harsh and/or petty, too:

• Only two auctions at a time (instead of 50)
    • Only two quickbars (instead of 6)
    • No cargo hold (bank/stash)
    • Can't access your guild bank
    • Can't talk in General chat
    • Can't send mail
    • Can't trade
    • Can't wear purple items
    • Missing most emotes (e.g. /cry)
    • Only 5 warzones per week (PVP)
    • Only 3 space missions per week (arcade-style Starfox-ish missions)
    • Only get loot from 3 flashpoints per week (instances)
    • Can't do operations (raids)

Maybe I'm being silly, but taking everything from the first list and maybe some things from the second list would probably be enough. You want to keep free players around, because the longer they play, the likelier they are to eventually break down and give you some money, right? Why would you erect such a tall barrier to entry that 50% of your players leave after two hours without spending a dime?

As if that wasn't enough, here's the stuff that seems downright malicious:

• Five medical probes (rez where you died instead of back at town) EVER -- not five per week, or one per day, but five EVER -- I didn't realize this was the case, so I burned through all of mine by level 10 and now I'm fucked forever unless I subscribe.
    • NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT. PERIOD.

Yeah, SWTOR failed horribly at the FTP stuff. The game had all kinds of issues when it released, continued to piss off a lot of players and then to top it all off they pulled that shit on everybody.

Trion, on the other hand, is really doing a great job with the FTP version. The only real constraint is that you will have less bag space the rest is just nice to haves but certainly not necessary (hell the bag space is in the category as well I suppose).

That's not bad at all really.

Only thing I think is meh is the faster mounts by default. If they can be found in pvp that could be kinda crappy.

I would also put the 2 auctions as reasonable. Basically it's something that could be a hindrance in the overall experience, but doesn't affect gameplay the slightest. It also weakens the gold farmers.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Anyone still play?